Village Pediatrics is beginning the process of becoming a certified patient-centered medical home (PCMH).
PCMH is a model of healthcare where patients have a direct relationship with a provider who coordinates a cooperative team of healthcare professionals, takes collective responsibility for the care provided to the patient and arranges for appropriate care with other qualified providers as needed. It strives to provide superior health care at an affordable price.
The medical home is intended to result in more personalized, coordinated, effective and efficient care. A medical home achieves these goals through a high level of accessibility, providing excellent communication among patients, clinicians and staff and taking full advantage of the latest information technology to prescribe, communicate, track test results, obtain clinical support information and monitor performance.
We hope to find that we already meet many of the required criteria due to our extended hours, on-call policies, website portal access, and established Electronic Health Record and the tools it provides.
PCMH criteria can be categorized as follows:
- Enhance Access and Continuity: Accommodate patients' needs with access and advice during and after hours, give patients and their families information about their medical home and provide patients with team-based care.
- Identify and Manage Patient Populations: Collect and use data for population management
- Plan and Manage Care: Use evidence-based guidelines for preventive, acute and chronic care management, including medication management.
- Provide Self-Care Support and Community Resources: Assist patients and their families in self-care management with information, tools, and resources.
- Track and Coordinate Care: Track and coordinate tests, referrals and transitions of care.
- Measure and Improve Performance: Use performance and patient experience data for continuous quality improvement.
What does this mean for our patients and their families?
- More information collected: Our patient information sheet will be expanded to collect more demographic information, such as ethnicity and preferred language.
- Surveys: Periodic surveys of performance will be collected to identify strengths and weaknesses of our team.
- Tracking: Identification, management and outcomes of specific health problems will be tracked without patient identification to allow patient privacy.
- Best care! Be secure in knowing that our clinicians will continue to provide up to date evidence-based care in a cost-effective manner.